UD uses personal identifiable information from donors that is collected at several points on our website, including: name, address, telephone number, email address and donor comments when a donor voluntarily provides it to us. When a donor pledges money as a donation, UD requests certain personally identifiable information from them on our secure donation form and/or by telephone. Donors must provide contact information (such as name, email and billing address) and financial information (such as credit card number and expiration date). This information is used for billing purposes and to fulfill donations. Credit card information is only used for specific or pre-authorized recurring transaction(s). However, if we have trouble processing a donation, we will use this information to contact the donor.
In addition, a record is kept of each donor’s giving history. Donor information is stored on a UD donor management database. Access to the database is restricted to personnel with a legitimate business need to access or modify the information contained therein. This information is kept on file for IRS purposes and is also used for gift acknowledgment and mailing lists.
UD does not sell, trade, rent or share names, addresses, telephone numbers or email addresses of our donors. UD may use contact information (email, telephone numbers or addresses) of donors for these purposes only:
- Produce receipts for donations;
- Acknowledge donors for their contributions;
- Inform donors about news, upcoming fundraising events and UD activities; or When information is sent utilizing a mailing service – The companies we employ have access only to the personal information needed to perform their functions, but are contractually prohibited from using it for other purposes;
- Internal analysis and record keeping;
- If necessary, reporting to relevant U.S. agencies; and
- As a means of recognizing support, UD may occasionally publish names of donors in various UD newsletters, brochures and publications. If a donor prefers their name not be published, please notify our general counsel at [email protected]
Our donation button uses industry standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) technology to protect data transmissions. The information collected will not be given out (shared or sold) to any third party.
When giving an online donation, or making an activity registration payment, UD takes every precaution to protect the donor’s personal information. That includes online data collected on the UD website through our secure e-commerce system and payment processor used to securely process online donations. All communications with the online processor are encrypted for the highest level of security of donor personal information.
Outreach and Zakat
Although we are fully aware, there are scholarly opinions regarding using zakat money for outreach, UD board of trustees have decided not to use zakat funds on outreach.
Zakat and New Muslims
UD Board of trustee has adopted the position that Zakat can and should be used to help Struggling New Muslims based on an interpretation of “Those whose hearts are to be reconciled.” Our hope is that by supporting them early, it will help us ensure people who have embraced this beautiful faith will continue to remain a Muslim.